Thursday 13 October 2011

Pie In The Sky - Review

It just so happened, one fine morning three generations of Beakers headed up to Mt Dandenongs for a spot of female bonding.  There was me, my 5 year old Bubba Chuck, my mum and my sister aka Bureaucrat from the Eat and Be Merry for Tomorrow We Diet fame (which she assures me is the number 1 food blog in Aust)

Pie In The Sky is a veritable institute.  Their claim to fame are gold and silver award winning pies.  I'm not sure who is awarding them and on what categories they are judged but word is out that they are a winner and the queue goes from the waiting area and onto the street. 

Don't let the hilly billy ambience nor the queues put you off.  Their pies are worth waiting for.  To 'have in', the pies are circa $15-ish with sides.  To take away, they average $4.  Cheap!







I had a cornish pastie with full side of peas, mash and gravy.  It was hearty to say the least.  I was ready to plough the fields after that full plate of sustanence.  There was real chunks of meat in the pastie versus meat mash in the ones you would normally come across



Bubba Chuck scoffed a sausage roll the length of her forearm with no complaints. 



My mother, who has completely missed the point that one was expected to sample pies in a place called Pie In The Sky, ordered a stuffed potato.  As stuffed potato goes, it was one of the best I've tasted.  It was injected with garlicky butter (yum).  I wasn't so keen on the two mounds of sour cream on top...just looking at the sour cream makes me want to book myself in for an angioplasty.... but crunchy coleslaw though. 



Bureaucrat nommed on a steak and mushroom pie which was obviously good enough to break her wheat free diet for.


Good, relatively cheap food in large serves - 2 thumbs up!

A bit senior citizen-ish inside but you can dine al fresco and watch the goings on on High St - 1 thumbikin up


http://www.pieinthesky.net.au/
43 Olinda-Monbulk Road, OLINDA  VIC 3788
ph 9761 2126

2 comments:

  1. Are the plates just designed to look like paper plates but were really china?

    The side serve of chips seemed to make it look like a cheap takeaway joint...I do like a good chicken and veggie pie though...

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might clarify, that we're number 1 in Victoria, according to Urbanspoon.

    ReplyDelete