Sunday 30 June 2013

Oh Lordy, lardy me....the CRONUT craze...

Yes, I'm a sucker for the latest food fad, especially one that started in Manhattan and has made it's way here. Mention that people are queueing like crazy or it's a limited edition food I'm there. Or trying to get there as soon as possible, as long as it's just not too hard!

So I'd salivated read about the latest food obsession. Cronuts- a cross between croissants and donuts. Yes, you read that right- how can you make a donut or a croissant even more delish, even more satisfying? Cross them!

This Sunday's Sunday Age magazine listed them as the hottest new thing!!!

I'd forgotten all about it after my initial fatty infatuation...then I was walking past Cacao in Fitzroy St StKilda and I got a sign.. a sign advertising flaky donuts in chocolate brownie, passionfruit meringue or blueberry...a sign saying to get in quick as last Saturday they sold out!

I had no choice. I went in and wandered round casually, like I was making up my mind, like I was't already zoning in on the flaky donuts!

I sidled up to the cabinet full of these cronuts......nonchalantly  asked the temptation pushing helpful smiling sales assistant which flavour was best.

I restrainedly (more financial that calorie frugality-they were $5 each) purchased only one- though I did almost accidentally pick up some other lucky guys bag with three cronuts in it!

OMG. The crispy flaky layers, the hint of brownie icing/mousse in the middle and on top...probably more fried donut taste with all the additional surface area for oil uptake....willI go back...HELL YEAH I will...but maybe as a once a month treat for as long as they last!




Boo xox


1 comment:

  1. That looks so bad for you but so good!

    ReplyDelete