Tuesday 13 December 2011

Finally......a golden fields lobster roll experience....

I've been waiting yearning dreaming of Golden Fields, of Andrew McConnell's south of the river restaurant. The no booking policy has put my friends who live on the other side of the river off...it's hard enough to get them to come across Punt Rd but the uncertainty and wait involved with no bookings...asking too much...(though me spending most of my life and weekends stuck on Punt Rd is all together another thing???)

Miss MMM, the jetstar and I were due a fine dining experience and felt Sunday lunch may be our best opportunity. At midday on a cold summer Sunday the place was quiet, after the breakfast gangs had cleared out.

The beginning and end of my meal was decided before I arrived. The reviews and blogosphere had been going crazy about the New England lobster roll, with kewpie mayo and watercress since before the place opened. I felt left out, I wanted some lobster love. I was slightly anxious, apprehensive that the hype was too much and the reality wouldn't stand up.

The relief and the bliss of biting into a buttery brioche bun that is gently crispy but gives way so beautifully, to the salty sweet kewpie mayo (an old friend), the peppery watercress and the sweet sweet firm lovely poached crayfish. Miss MMM and jetstar devoured these little beauties in a few quick bites. I slowly savoured mine, enjoying each fulsome bite. I felt a little sense of loss when mine was gone. A little bit of heaven for $15....no wonder these are doing roaring trade as a take away option. I wish I still lived within walking distance...

As it was lunch and we were eating light we decided to share a couple of cold salads. The shredded chicken, sesame paste, home made cold rice noodles and chilli oil ($15) was my choice. It arrived looking quite plain, white chicken, thick rectangular organic looking translucent rice noodles, a spattering of coriander and some orangey yellow chilli oil. The waitress advised the salad required mixing and left us to it.
Tasty, sweet tender chicken with a delicate sesame taste and subtle chilli. It was hard to control myself and not scoop all the salad up. Especially as I was a little concerned about our last savoury dish, steamed eggplant, silken tofu and pickled chillies. I like tofu. I like silken tofu, the  soft smooth silky slurpiness of it. Eggplant just doesn't excite me. In fact I dislike it. However my eating companions love it.
The eggplant had a lovely soft non slimy texture and with the gorgeous tofu (one round of it each), and the garlicky chilli sauce it was beautifully matched. In so far as I would order this again. Can't normally say this for the eggplant!

And then, the other moment I'd be eagerly anticipating since the first reviews. Ever since my first experience with a ladree salted caramel macaron at Harrods in London in 2006 I have been salted caramel obsessed. On a slight aside, my vote for best salted caramel macaron in Melbourne is....La Belle Miette in Hardware Lane...little bites of taste bud heaven! We had spoken of sharing desserts. When it came to it I couldn't. I announced my dessert was going to be for me only. After reassuring herself that she could have a taste of mine jeststar ordered the cherries, baked savarin, walnut ice cream and brandy.
The soft sweet cake, cinnamony walnut ice cream and brandy cherries was good. No comparison to my and Miss MMM's dessert. Peanut butter parfait, salted caramel and soft chocolate. Want. Need. More....
Now. Please. PLEASE. Initially when I tasted the parfait I was disappointed. It was rich and thick and very peanutty. When combined with the thick rich salty peanutty caramel and soft chocolaty cream it was all you could ask for in a dessert. Jetstar had a taste and came back for another taste. I begrudgingly allowed her the second taste, quickly moving my spoon back in to limit her attack. I scrapped the bowl clean, and if i was somewhere less salubrious I would have licked the bowl.

I will be back. Whether with friends or own my own, whether eat in or take away. I will have more from Golden Fields.

Boo xox

2 comments:

  1. sublime! was it kiddy friendly in terms of seating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved golden fields, and reliving the experience in your blog! Miss MMM

    ReplyDelete