Sunday 27 November 2011

Hutong baby!

A friend, Miss MMM and I headed into town to check out the Markit@fed square market with lots of cool funky designers. After exploring 3/4 of the market we decided lunch was in order to revive our flagging interest...due purely to a growling stomach rather than a lack of eye candy. We walked to Chin Chin..it was open...didn't look too busy. Only to hear there was a 45 minute wait. My stomach couldn't wait nor could the market so we decided to try our luck at Hutong.

On a weeknight I've found you can now get into Hutong with a booking made a week or so ahead. I wanted dumplings. Not the cheap arse cheerful dumplings you can get in the city but the happy making chilli dumplings from Hunton. We entered....four people were sitting waiting. My heart and stomach sank a little. The lady with the headset and clipboard advised she could seat us immediately but we'd need to exit the table within an hour. Deal!

Miss MMM hadn't tried the dumplings here so placed her lunch in my hands. She was quite happy with the result!


The shao-long bao were what first got Hutong so much attention. I still enjoy them and am excited by the soup inside the dumpling! So clever! Such a little show! I love slurping the clear light broth, and then dipping the remaining dumpling into the soy ginger dipping sauce. We were both too hungry to wait to take a photo.... Ten dumplings for $11.80. A good start. The the little bits of heaven, the happy chilli dumplings that bring joy in every bite. The chiili oil sauce has the right amount of chilli- just enough to add warmth, and to gently build up but not too much to limit the taste to a burn.



The chilli oil is thick and coats the dumpling so beautifully. Little pieces of chilli, spring onion and the occasional peppercorn dot the oil. Miss MMM was converted to the chilli dumplings, and was I think a little disappointed she had to finish off the shao-long bao. We both were dipping them into the chilli oil to slurp up as much of it as possible. Eight bites of heaven for $8.80. $8.80 to take me to my happy place.

xox Boo

No comments:

Post a Comment